It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to garrardmatters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lab 80
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:19 am 

Hi Garrard Fans,
I recently purchased a almost mint Lab 80 on a Dynatron plinth, everything functions except the cueing action, when I operate the manual lever it does not hold the arm up and therefore the set down post lever although moves outboard cannot lower the arm onto the vinyl.

Does anyone know how to set up the cueing device for this lovely turntable?

Regards
Eddie

Post subject: Re: Lab 80
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Hi Eddie. Welcome to Garrardmatters.
Can you please introduce yourself to other members in the appropriate section before posting questions etc.
Thankyou.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:17 am 

eddiebaby58 wrote:
Hi Garrard Fans,
I recently purchased a almost mint Lab 80 on a Dynatron plinth, everything functions except the cueing action, when I operate the manual lever it does not hold the arm up and therefore the set down post lever although moves outboard cannot lower the arm onto the vinyl.

Does anyone know how to set up the cueing device for this lovely turntable?

The Lab 80 is almost fifty years old. Over most of that time I worked on hundreds of them, and I could offer some quickie advice, but I don't really know which of several problems your particular Lab 80 has. The main thing you need to do right now is to look at ALL the linkages in that machine and make sure they are free to MOVE. Garrard used some horrid grease that seemingly turned to stone with age. What actually happened: grease is a combination of an oil and a solid best described as a "soap." When they separate (note: with the old organic greases that really was "WHEN" and not "IF"), the oil runs out and what's left is the solid, which makes a most terrible lubricant, often freezing the parts in place. Best routine is to disassemble any parts "frozen" together by hardened grease, clean off all residue with a solvent, and reassemble, relubricating with a modern grease.

Once you are certain that all associated parts in the cueing mechanism are free, try it again and see if it works. If so, you're done (but I'll wager you're not). Next step is to register (free) at Vinyl Engine (http://www.vinylengine.com) and download from their Library, accessible to registered and signed-in members only, the Garrard Lab 80 Service Manual. In that manual are all the user adjustments, plus all those intended for service technicians, including those for the cueing mechanism. A diagram of the cueing mechanism is on Page 13. Make sure no parts are missing (there is a spring that can be dislodged in handling and in installation of the Lab 80 to its plinth), adjust the mechanism properly, and verify that everything is working freely. Once you get the cueing device to lift properly, you may find it won't lower gently, but PLOPS the arm onto the record. If this happens the only solution is to get some special cueing device silicone damping fluid (available from several specialty vendors of record player belts and parts) and replenish the supply that is supposed to be in the cueing sleeve.

Since all the Garrard factory information that was available to service technicians is also available to YOU: Take advantage of it!

Last edited by GP49 on Sat May 26, 2012 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:11 pm 
Hifi Junkie

Eddie, please can you post a pic of your Lab 80. I haven't seen one of these and I like interesting and different decks.

Cheers
Natalie ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:08 pm 

Something else about the Garrard Lab 80: NEVER rotate the platter (or allow it to rotate) backwards. Some could be damaged that way. They had a lever with a plastic tip, that ran in a track in the automatic cycling cam. If that lever was engaged in the cam, as it would be during an automatic cycle, and the platter were rotated backwards, that plastic tip would run into a "dead end" and break off. I fixed dozens of Lab 80s by moulding a new, reinforced plastic tip onto that lever. Later production seemed to be OK; I believe the cam was revised to provide an "escape path" instead of a dead end, so the plastic tip would not break off.

I really loved the Lab 80's chaste, elegant styling; still, to me, the best-looking turntable ever made. I regret selling my last one, even if it was for some really silly money. Here's a photo of the Garrard Lab 80. It is not my photo (I never took a picture of any of the Lab 80s that passed through my hands or my workbench); I found it on the web, I know not where.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:21 pm 
Hifi Junkie

Do you still work on them Gene, have you worked on other Garrards? Thats quite a nice looking deck, very neat :)

Natalie ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:36 am 

Natalie wrote:Do you still work on them Gene, have you worked on other Garrards? Thats quite a nice looking deck, very neat :)

Natalie ;)

I am retired from working on audio equipment for anyone but myself! I did that kind of work, on and off, sometimes full-time,
sometimes to supplement another job, from the years when I went to college until about five years ago. I got my start at a
used stereo store in that college town. The owner had piled up eight derelict Garrard record changers (all of them were
models from the very plentiful Autoslim/AT6/SP25 chassis series). I told him I could make at least five good ones out of his
junk pile. He said, "go ahead, I gotta see this," and I made SEVEN working ones!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:10 pm 

GP49 wrote:
Natalie wrote:Do you still work on them Gene, have you worked on other Garrards? Thats quite a nice looking deck, very neat :)

Natalie ;)

I am retired from working on audio equipment for anyone but myself! I did that kind of work, on and off, sometimes full-time,
sometimes to supplement another job, from the years when I went to college until about five years ago. I got my start at a
used stereo store in that college town. The owner had piled up eight derelict Garrard record changers (all of them were
models from the very plentiful Autoslim/AT6/SP25 chassis series). I told him I could make at least five good ones out of his
junk pile. He said, "go ahead, I gotta see this," and I made SEVEN working ones!

Great story Gene, i am green with envy at your talent (not jealous), even though i dodn't have good hands but i love to hear others endeavours in making something good outta nothing. 8-)

wii.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]